Becoming a Tutor
Interested in becoming a tutor?
As a tutor, you will be paired with one adult learner to teach reading, math, or English as a Second Language. The subject choice will be yours. We will provide texts, supplementary resources, and staff support to help you teach. In addition, you are invited to attend a no-cost training workshop to certify you as a Pro Literacy tutor.
This workshop isn't required to tutor, but it is a worthwhile experience and highly recommended. Tutor training workshops are offered twice each year, in the spring and fall.
You have many volunteer opportunities. Why tutor?
- You improve someone's life immeasurably when you teach him or her to read or do math.
- You contribute to the improvement of the quality of life in the Detroit area.
- You choose when you wish to tutor, and whether it is reading or math.
- You meet and get to know people of other cultures.
- You spend time with people who love to learn.
Our volunteer tutors represent the heart and energy of Siena Literacy Center. During 2009-10, tutors have given over 18,000 hours of their time in service to our learners. Tutors and learners develop relationships that not only promote successful learning experiences, but also personally enrich each of their lives.
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, contact us at 313-532-8404